SIGMA 4 (2008), 019, 6 pages arXiv:0802.1655
Contribution to the Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference Symmetry in Nonlinear Mathematical Physics
Single-Pole Interaction of the Particle with the String
Milovan Vasilic and Marko Vojinovic
Institute of Physics, P.O.Box 57, 11001 Belgrade, Serbia
Received October 24, 2007, in final form January 20, 2008; Published online February 12, 2008
Within the framework of generalized Papapetrou method, we derive the effective
equations of motion for a string with two particles attached to its ends,
along with appropriate boundary conditions. The equations of motion are the
usual Nambu-Goto-like equations, while boundary conditions turn out to be
equations of motion for the particles at the string ends. Various properties
of those equations are discussed, and a simple example is treated in detail,
exhibiting the properties of Neumann and Dirichlet boundary conditions and
giving a small correction term to the law of Regge trajectories due to the
nonzero particle mass.
P-branes; classical theory of gravity; Regge trajectories; string theory.
pdf (159 kb)
ps (124 kb)
tex (9 kb)
- Berezinsky V., Martin X., Vilenkin A., High energy particles from monopoles
connected by strings, Phys. Rev. D 56 (1997), 2024-2034, astro-ph/9703077.
- Carter B., Mechanics of cosmic rings, Phys. Lett. B 238 (1990), 166-171.
- Goto T., Relativistic quantum mechanics of one-dimensional mechanical
continuum and subsidiary condition of dual resonance model,
Prog. Theoret. Phys. 46 (1971), 1560-1569.
- Martin X., Vilenkin A., Gravitational radiation from monopoles
connected by strings, Phys. Rev. D 55 (1997), 6054-6060.
- Mathisson M., Neue Mechanik materieller Systeme,
Acta Phys. Polon. 6 (1937), 163-200.
- Nambu Y., Strings, monopoles, and gauge fields,
Phys. Rev. D 10 (1974), 4262-4268.
- Papapetrou A., Spinning test-particles in general relativity. I,
Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. A 209 (1951), 248-258.
- Vasilic M., Vojinovic M., Classical string in curved backgrounds,
Phys. Rev. D 73 (2006), 124013, 12 pages, gr-qc/0610014.